Tuesday, March 24, 2009

When Grandkids call and ask for....

When one of your grandchildren calls you and ask if you happen to have a wheelchair at your house they could borrow, it can't be good news.
My eleven year old grand daughter called and told me that..... well, I better back up and start from the beginning.
Saturday I called the grandkids and asked them to come over. We'll BBQ and swim in the pool. Then they could spend the night and we'll do it again the next day. The oldest said she'd have to ask Mom ( Mom was in the shower - she'd call me back ). Dad (my Son ) called me back and told me they bought a dirt bike. They were taking it out with friends with quads and doing some riding. "Oh, Ok have fun," I said.
OOPS.... I should have added "and be careful." Monday afternoon, I got the call. We have a lot of stuff out in the "barn" (as I call it:) but not a wheelchair. My husband found one on craigslist for free. I rushed out and picked it up and took to her.
Oh my! Poor baby - she fractured her leg and sprained her ankle. At the emergency room she said she got to choose the color of her cast. She picked purple. I signed it.
Not once did I say.... maybe you should have come to Grandma's house and gone swimming.

10 comments:

Lanny said...

How very good of you, not to mention it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. Hope she feels better soon and so glad you got the whelchair.

Rev. Paul said...

Lanny beat me to it: you showed admirable restraint!

j said...

Oh Dee Dee! I am sorry about her leg. I hope she heals quickly.

And I am proud of you for not going for the 'toldja so' - you have amazing self control :)

Hugs Dee Dee!

Diane AZ said...

You are right, a call asking about a wheelchair is one nobody wants to get. Sorry about your grand daughter. She did pick a nice color for her cast. ;)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Hey Deedee...I saw your comment on Mildren's site about living in Alabama and Georgia....I popped over because I used to live in Georgia as well. Now I see you live in Phoenix. I lived there as well!! I read a few of your posts...sorry about the granddaughter, I am sure your tongue was bleeding from NOT saying anything. ;0
Bandit...looks so sweet, but they are little devils aren't they? I keep my guest room shut too, but someone always gets in there and makes a mess...cats, dogs....
Love your blog...I will follow along.
Suz

deedee said...

Lanny: I did good but my husband didn't. He said the "should have come over here and gone swimming" :(
Mildred: They said 6 to 8 weeks in a cast :(
Rev.Paul: I'm a good grandmom - I get plenty of practice having 8.
Jen: You know how kids are! Sometimes things just happen.
Diane: She had a hard time deciding between pink or purple. Did you see my signature?
Suz: Thanks for joining my blog. I see that you're not "looking" good in orange :( Sorry.

Becca's Dirt said...

It was hard not to say it - but I know how you felt. Isn't it neat how there are colors now. When I was young you had to color it yourself. Hope she is back on her feet in no time. Kids heal quick.

Susie said...

I'm sorry to hear about her leg. Bless her heart. I hope she won't be in that cast too long.

Frank Baker said...

I'm sorry to learn about your granddaughter. Hope the recovery is fast and successful.